Monday, April 8, 2013

Izakaya Tomo: Tapas and Appi Style Dinner

After some intense hot yoga today @ moksha yoga Dustin pointed out a new japanese restaurant that opened in the same complex. I decided to come back in the PM for a taste of the izakaya style establishment. Jono and a co-worker Aaron had told me to come and I decided that even though I was going to Tokyo in 23 days and ENJOY far BETTER food I could still give this place a try.


FROM WIKI:
An izakaya (居酒屋?) is a type of Japanese drinking establishment which also serves food to accompany the drinks. They are casual places for after-work drinking.



outdoor shot of the place. Its a little place that could easily be missed. 

Entering the establishment you see the word TOMO in chinese/ japanese script meaning friend. It has a very rustic feel with lots of wood. They have a pretty high and darkened ceiling. 
They have japanese writing on the walls as decoration. It adds a clean cut and classy feel to the place. 







The above were shots of their menu. They also of a "drinks" menu. 

Dustin @ Tomo looking pleased. At this point we had finally got a table after waiting more than 20 min. This wait is usually acceptable to me HOWEVER there was 3 other tables that sat empty as "Reserved" While we were there, only one of these tables were filled. There were also "TROLLERS" aka people who had finished their food and just sat there forever. There was 2 such people who saw us waiting for a table and saw us wait for 15 min while they just sat there.  They had finished their food and drinks and just sat and watch us stand there. SIGH I guess next time I should make a reservation or what not. I think such a small establishment shouldn't have reservations unless it is for a party of 6 or more. 

Here is some of their cutlery . a cute little pot for the soya sauce and little dish for you to mix your wasabi. The chopsticks themselves seem high in quality. 
Dustin and I ordered an array of foods hoping to get a taste of what this restaurant would be like. The picture above is the curry udon. $8.95 It tastes ok not too infused with flavor (I am use to more stronger tasting curries ) I guess it was a soup so the flavor is toned down a bit. There was some shredded pork in it and some QQ udon noodles. (QQ is how I  and other Taiwanese people describe the consistency and the feel of a noodle not too soft not too chewy JUST RIGHT) I was afraid to get a sliver from the wooden spoon so I tried not to use it. 

Wow looks like we got huge slabs of mackerel "Aburi saba" for $4.45.  
This is what it actually looked like on the dish. SMALL must have been a minnow sized fish =P
The actual slices were quite tasty though esp with the little bit of ginger and green onion slices. I was tempted to eat the leaf it was on BECAUSE I WAS THAT HUNGRY 
Next we decided to go for the "Crispy Taco Yaki" $6.95 This was one of the highlights of the evening. I would say there was about 1 to 2 mid sized octopus chunks in each of these balls. I loved the japanese mayo used and the flakes on top seemed to move and flutter. 

It was super hot though but juicy and filling. I loved the sauce. DELICIOUS and I would definitely order this one again .

From the salad side of the menu we went for "Nama Harumaki" $6.95 which has smoked salmon in it as well as veggies like cucumber, avocado green leaves etc. It was sitting in a bath of "Special dressing". Whatever it is IT WAS YUM. This dish was refreshing and I loved the taste of smoked salmon as an aftertaste. 


Though this place is not known for its rolls we decided to go for two rolls anyways just to gage their quality. We went for the "Tempura Shrimp Roll" you can add your own toppings for the outside. Seasme is free tobiko is $1 and any other is $2 +. The actual roll cost $8.95 by itself. 


This roll was ok but it as falling apart even as the server brought it to the table. 




Same goes for our chop chop roll that we got with tobiko. The rolls were not well formed but I actually thought the chop chop roll wasn't too bad. $7.95

We ordered dessert and she gave us two wooden spoons and napkins. But as you can see there is already a stain on this supposed "NEW NAPKIN" EW. 

The "sweet potato and ice cream" These caramelized sweet potatoes had caramel sugar on it I think and they were still pipping hot. This was great contrast to the cold vanilla ice cream that it is paired with. The sugar strands looked almost like HAIR ewww thank god it tasted delicious. $5.95


Ice Cream Puff $6.95 looked lovely on the menu this is what it looked like when it came.

Not exactly the same as the menu picture but still pretty good in presentation. I love the mochi they have here it had sesame seeds on it unlike the menu picture. Unlike the picture the piece (puff) was not fully on it was just leaning on the icecream. The green tea "matcha" ice cream was light in flavor and not what I was use to. This was great for Dustin who hates really strong tasting green tea food products. I like the red bean paring since it was not super sweet.  This dessert was very enjoyable. A KEEPER and will order next time. 

Then our bill came. I WAS STILL HUNGRY either I  EAT alot or maybe the portions were too small.
I will come back again to try their other offerings before I JUDGE this place as disappointment or recommend. 

SERVICE: 3.5/5
FOOD: 3/5 (so far)
ATMOSPHERE: 4/5 

Izakaya Tomo on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment