Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Fondue Nights: Visiting the Melting Pot

What is the "white" version of hot pot?

The answer is : FONDUE

However, fondue is much more expensive and it is at times way harder to get full.

Whenever I go to The Melting Pot, I still go eat at McDonalds after since I am still not full.

I have gone just for the dessert and I have also gone for a full 4 course meal set (Big Night Out)

So Lets look at the Big Night OUT (American Style)
(note: must make reservations and do not be sleepy since the lights are dim)


It's menu boasts a four course meal to delight your senses.
The First course : Boston Lagger Cheddar Cheese Fondue
I found the cheese to be quite sharp and the bacon and onion accent were a nice touch alongside with a hint of Tabasco sauce. We got to dip vegetables, bread and granny smith apples. Unfortunately, our waitress was quite slow and we ran out of dippers long before she came back. Good think I had a drink to ensure I didn't get cranky.

Second course: Wiscon Wedge Salad
I thought this salad was gross. It really was just a huge hedge of Iceberg lettuce and I really hate ranch dressing but it came with the meal what can you do. The presentation was horrible too.

Third course: We went for the Fondue Fusion 
This choice meant it cost $ 102 dollars per couple not including drinks.
The lobster tail had EH amounts of meat. Maybe that really is the size of lobster tail meat, nevertheless I thought it wasn't enough.  There wasn't much meat for each variety of : shrimp, chicken, pork and sirloin. The sauce on each meat was good though, well seasoned. The difference between the set and the $112 was that the latter had two lobster tails.

Fourth and Final course: Chocolate Wildberry Crunch Fondue 
You could technically choose any of the other chocolate and dessert fondues but I really like PB&J so this was perfect. There was a large variety of dippers including cheese cake and coated marshmallows. NOM NOM NOM The flavours all mingled together and its as close as it will be to a PB&J

*NOTE the second time we came it was not as good the service was horrible and we had to stir our own chocolate wild berry crunch fondue and we didn't get our dippers till much later*

 here is a picture of the  dippers . My favourite is the graham and chocolate coated marshmallows. I really enjoyed the texture and when you dipped it in the fondue it made it EVEN better* VERY SWEET * technically you can get as many dippers as you want minus the cheese cake
 this darker picture was taken without a flash . the cheese cake got a candle because it was for a birthday.
 here is the famed lobster tail. seriously there was about 4 bites or 5. still succulent I guess.
 He got a beer and I got some fruity drink I thought didn't have alcohol but IT DID.
 this is when we had to stir our own FONDUE!! good god! the waitress just left it there like that.
 here is some of our dipping later with stuff on it already. I got inspired by these plate and bought similar ones for FONDUE AT HOME (an upcoming blog entry)


display of our raw meet as you can see there was not much! hence why I headed to MCDICKS after.

Overall, it was a interesting place to go especially if you haven't gone before. If you have it isn't too special, in fact you can make this at home and in larger quantities. The food was good, I mean technically you are cooking half of it yourself so really you can't give the chefs all the credit. The seasoning on all the food was great and I really enjoyed the dessert. If you go just for the dessert it is about $23 dollars so not too bad.

My biggest advice is not to go there with a super empty stomach or when you are tired. The dim dim dim ness of the light will make you drift into LALA land.
The Melting Pot Edmonton on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment