Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Going to Old Spaghetti Factory

Today after a tedious day at work and then working out, Liana and I decided to hit up West Edmonton Mall for some shopping. We both hadn't been there for a while and was actually looking for DELUX BURGER. We walked down Bourbon Street and Delux was gone! I hadn't been to WEM for awhile but not for that long... Where did it go?

Oh well, our dreams of eating  delicious burgers were dashed. So we looked around Bourbon Street. There was the usual places but I really wanted a cheap and quick meal. I always see a line at Old Spaghetti Factory but never understood why. So we were down to two option: Hooters or Old Spaghetti Factory. There really wasn't anyone super attractive working at Hooters (so it would devoid the point of going) so we went to Old Spaghetti Factory.

Going on a Wednesday after 12:30 pm was a perfect choice. There was no line at all and we were seated immediately in a booth. Everything was dimly lit but in an old fashion kind of way. I instantly judged the place and would never come here on a romantic date. EVER. Our server was a busy and ragged looking blonde who left after seating us down. There was one laminated menu and the other was made out of newspaper material. (EW how do they wipe those down, thats so germy) I looked at the Lunch Specials since I was trying to control the portion sizes. 

After not being able to find the nutrition guide online for the specific lunch menu item I gave up and went for the Chicken Clubhouse Sandwich with Fries but sub the fries for yam  fires. (yes I am sure I will end up gaseous and regretting it) (8.95 + 1.50) super cheap. The lunch came with a milestone soup and it was eeh , really small bowl and not really flavourful just a bit salty. (keep in mind I don't use salt in my cooking at all) 


 here is a quick snapshot of the layout of the restaurant. everything as you can tell looks "old ish"
 here is Liana pulling a face as we try and decide what to eat. Since we are  both kind of indecisive it was a long process.
 This is the laminated menu, yet the food on it still doesn't look too appealing.
 here is the paper copy of the menu I was talking about. To me this just screams cheap. I know Delux Burger did the same thing but at least their menu was in colour.
 Liana ordered a Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwhich with Fires and topped it off with a Baked French Onion Soup. I didn't have a bite of this but to me it didn't look well plated and the plates were really old looking and cheese was everywhere. However, Liana looked super happy as she ate is so it must not have been all bad.
Oh yes I almost forgot, they give you a complimentary SLAB of bread with whipped butter and whipped garlic butter. The knife is just stuck in the bread which I think can be dangerous and it really looks unappealing. The bread it self seemed fresh and warm and the butter was good. (how  could you messed up whipped butter right...) There was no plates on our table at this time so crumbs were EVERYWHERE. 

 Here is my soup in that nasty patterned bowl. The soup was actually really small and I would say equivalent to 12 normal people spoon bites.( if that makes any sense)

 So finally after seeing others get there food (about 15 min later) our food arrived. This is a picture of her sandwich. Once again their plates are nasty and it just throws me off and doesn't make me want to enjoy their food. I had a few of her fires they were ok nothing to special.
This was mine. I asked for the butter and mayo to be removed from the sandwich. Alas, the butter was still smeared onto the ciabatta bun. I was displeased but didn't say anything since I didn't want to wait for another one to be made. The yam fries were surpassingly fresh and the chipotle mayo dip was actually quite good. As you can see its quantity here not quality. The sandwich was ok nothing too special I ended up not even eating the bun itself. (note: they do not have any other alternative for the bun so if you don't like that kind of bun don't order it.) 

Overall, I see why people go. Its fast, its cheap and its food. I didn't try their signature pasta dishes so I guess I can't fully judge it yet. But yes their sandwich are nothing special and though the whole meal was under 13 dollars it wasn't really worth it. 


Old Spaghetti Factory on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment