Friday, February 22, 2013

No Pain No Gain -Tattoo Frenzy

So I just came back from Strange City on Whyte Ave. Though I personally did not get any work done this time round I have been there before and got one of my pieces done by Ryan Buttar (hopefully this is how you spell it). This time it was someone else in my life (who wishes not to be named) and it was just a small piece on her shoulder. I, myself have 5 pieces done with two of them overlapping ear other on my back.

Why did I choose Ryan for her? Well first of all we are getting a similar tattoo for a certain someone in our life. Her tattoo is slightly different and has the chinese name whereas mine has her Japanese name. Ryan is good at what he does especially when you look at his portfolio off of the strange city website. He is also quick and proficient. When you have a low pain tolerance and is prone to moving around and being squeamish its best to find a tattoo artist that does his work and does it fast. In addition he is not horrible on he eyes which is great esp when you may have to stare at him for over an hour.

So Strange City charges around 150 per hour and you put a deposit of 105 dollars down after your consult. This is pretty fair when compared to Shambala which is also on whyte. I got a piece done there and after 2 sessions (1 hr first time for outline and 0.45 hr for shading ) with tip costing close to 500 dollars. The work was not good enough that other artists (In Banff Perfect Image Studios) would not do work until they touched it up. Hence why I have an overlapping tattoo.

 the drawing is etched / printed on/ screen printed after the design was hatched out over an hour of drawing and re-drawing esp the asian words (NOTE RYAN is white and doesn't know how to write in chinese so his words here are pretty darn good)
 This is her chair of doom . it actually acts like a kneeler. and she knelt for about an hour. It looked comfortable enough .
 The aftermath where I took a pic of ryan taking a pic of his handy work

This shot was during the tattooing too bad ryan is blurry in the back my camera is too slow. he was doing the same pose.



here is a pic of my tattoo done by him last june ish.

So this is how she described her should piece: the pain was harsh but bearable, talking to others really helped her take her mind off of the pain.

The quickness of ryan made the tattoo finish quickly and as done with great precision.

Always eat before and try not to drink too much fluids so you have to go to the washroom.

NOTE always tip the tattoo artist if you like what they did.

here is a raw photo of my dragon tattoo right after it was done (1 week)


No comments:

Post a Comment