Wednesday, February 27, 2013

to SHAW or not to SHAW that is the question

does anyone use shaw?

I mean you pretty much have 2 choices.

1. Shaw
2. Telus

I use to have Telus internet and it really blew. It inched along like a snail. The only reason why I had Telus was because of the bundle with my TV. Now that I don't have time to watch TV and I also moved, I cancelled my Telus. I decided give Shaw a try. We have been together for the past 1.5 years. Now we have had our ups and downs. BUT recently its been more downs.

For instance this past several days my internet keeps crapping out and cutting out and I have to pull all the plugs and restart it. Then it bounces right back for a bit and dies again. A little background info: I have broadband 50 and I pay $75 a month plus taxes etc and subject to prices changes. When I first signed up it was a special and I paid I think $30 a month for 6 months. Then it was $70 a month and now its $75.

This is what you get:
50 mbps download speed
3 mbps upload speed
400 gb monthly transfer limit
10 email address
2 dynamic IP addresses

Its catch phrases and key highlights off its website:
GO faster
Download in a snap
Keep everyone satisfied

NOW I kind of regretting getting broadband 50. To get the broadband 100 it is $95 a month so about 25 dollars more (though I swear every bill I get from shaw is 80 some dollars)

With Broadband 100 you get:
100 mbps download speed
5 mbps upload speed
750 gb monthly transfer
REST IS SAME

Catch phrases and key highlights off its website:
go faster
do it all simultaneously
never slow down

SEE these key words off of the Broadband 100 is what I am looking for. After I start DWL stuff or streaming too much stuff things slow down esp when Dustin is using the iPad etc.

So I did a few speed tests :
 So this was at its worse I had 0.63 mbps . and my upload was barely 0.52. and this is what I get for paying an arm and a leg just for internet. I called Shaw and after many please hold and nasty music and transferring from one department to the next they told me to unplug my unit and plug it back in. I told them I did that already. So then I was put on hold again... (in total this call lapsed close to 2 hours). When this happened again I called again and this time they told me it is slow because other people in your area who have shaw are also using it. more people in your neighbourhood that has shaw the slower your internet is. I GO WELL why did I pay so much for this. they go well its probably not that slow it can be a bit slower. I sent them this screen shot.

THEY WERE CONFUSED TOO.

Shaw can be great but I have never hit 50 mbps ever the closest I got was this:

and usually this is the rate I get
so why am I paying so much to get MEH average speeds????

I really have no choice do I?
Maybe I should opt for broadband 100 and at its worst I would be getting 40 maybe 50 mbps which is what I wanted in the first place. (perhaps after this asia trip I will splurge)

or I might as well go H CORE and go for Broadband 250
costing me $115 a month

but hey I get to go:

TURBO
OPERATE AT TOP SPEEDS
LEAD THE WAY
(from their website)

No comments:

Post a Comment