Sunday, February 24, 2013

Oops Tea ~ BBT & Eats Taiwan Style~

I love this cute little place called OOPS TEA. It is located right by Tropica on Calgary Trial. Being a lover of BBT I have tried many different places in ALBERTA. (more specifically Edmonton and Calgary). Off course there are so many spin offs now since it got more popular. BBT = bubble tea originates from Taiwan and is a delicious drink that first started off as a tea infused with milk and contains tapioca pearls. It is quite an experience for your mouth and lovely on a hot summers day.

I use to frequent Dream Tea House and other places that claim to have authentic BBT. ALAS most are powder or if it is fresh fruit is it ridiculously expensive. For those of you that have never been to Asia, BBT is actually quite a cheap drink. In Taiwan you can get one for under 3 dollars around 60 NTD. Here they charge a heft 4 something dollars in addition to the tapioca or jelly you add. That is only for the powder stuff!!!

So when my friend told me that there was a Taiwan owned BBT place that opens late and is on the South Side I was overjoyed. I finally went for the first time about a year ago. I immediately fell in love with the atmosphere, the decor and the staff.

I haven't taken any photos of the outside so I found this one off the google! its position is kinda shady it is right by a subway and in the same complex as Tropica. It is also right beside a massage parlour that opens till the WEE HOURS............
This is a sample menu off their Facebook page! Click here to view their Facebook page.
Again I pulled this off the internet I am sometimes too busy stuffing my face instead of taking pics. Note the cute dolls, they are actually hand crochet by one of the owners. (its tech a family run busn with friends that help out. one of the daughters is really talented in making these little figurines and though it takes her HOURS she keeps making more. )

This is when my mother and I went right before her surprise birthday party. As you can see a lot of effort was made to make the decor cute! #heartandsoul
The tables are simple enough and there really isn't that much room its made for a small gathering and great for late night drink/treat.
Even their toilet is cute! hahaha I kept looking at the constipated cow.

So what makes them so much better and what has made me RECOMMEND this place and take so many people here for all occasions ? ITS SIMPLE

They are friendly
Their food is authentic and delicious and made fast
Their drinks are the best and hand shaken
The decor is lovely
The atmosphere is enjoyable and cozy
They are open LATE

They have huge glasses and their BBT no matter fresh or powder tastes way better than any other BBT place I have been to. Their pearls are not too chewy or powdery just the right consistency which ACTUALLY is quite hard to achieve. Their motto is .. what ever you can imagine for a BBT they can make it even if it is not on their menu.



These two are actually the same dish. ONE is just SM and the other is LRGE. The top picture has extra sides such as a traditional tea boiled egg some side vegetable dishes added in. That top one goes for $9.99 and is quite filling. BOTH  DISHES are the famous "RU RO FAN" the staple go to food and comfort food of TAIWAN. It is probably bad for your health since it uses pigs fat but it is so delicious and makes your mouth water and wanting more. The smaller bowl is so cute and is good for a snack or those wanting to limit their portion sizes . It goes for $4.99

NOte the only inconvenience of this place is that it is CASH or DEBIT only and no VSA or MC and sometimes their debit machine will fail so its CASH only.
These little balls are hand made and stuffed with deliciousness. Each order allows for two different types of stuffing and I believe I went for the gourmet ones in this picture. These ones hold chocolate and fresh cut strawberries or the other one is blueberries and custard I think. .....These gourmet ones go for $9 dollars I think for 5 and come out piping hot and freshly made per order. There are more simple ones with less choices 5 for 5.99 and so on. 

I have also had other things from their menu such as : 
this is their spicy wonton and it is really spicy yet delicious the topping probably has "Lao gang ma" or something of the sort. Yah this dish def requires a few swishes of your bbt. Recently they have upped their in store menu and included more dishes and varieties including HOT GRASS JELLY options. 

I like stuff from here to stay and to go !
the music they play is very asian but super fitting for the atmosphere and theme.

They also have a cute stamp card and after 9 drinks you get one free! 


I really recommend you visit this place and visit it often *but note they don't open TUE*

Oops Tea on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment