Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Authentic Italian: Massimo's Cucina Italiana

I love eating italian, the rustic feel the lovely tomatoes the sauce that mingles in your mouth. DELISH. I also often visit the Italian store by south gate. Their meat and cheese are super cheap and there is a great variety. I love going their for a quick grocery run if I need to make a dinner and I am missing something. 

(Italian Center : 10878-95 Street / 5028-104A Street )
(Italian Center Facebook page : Click Here )

(The website for the restaurant : Massimos

Recently, the Italian store overtook the retail space beside it and finally made it into something. They opened a small italian restaurant called: Massimo Cucina Italiana.
I think the waitress who was italian told me it means Massimo's Italian Kitchen. ( i hope there really is a massimo....)

It had its grand opening December 12 2012 I believe and got their liquor licence Jan 9 2013. 

I went to this little place late at night on the 4th day of their opening and we were the only one there. It was quite nice actually because I see a line and lots of people in it now and I HATE LINES.

Upon entering I noticed that they were all Italian and actually had italian accents. NICE except for our waiter he was SUPER friendly ... super in the terms of annoying since he kept saying he knew me and we must have gone to high school together.. he looks like he is in his 30s if not 40s... DO I LOOK THAT OLD ... cheesh

Anyways the service I guess was good he was attentive but he kind of had to we were the only customers in at the time. 

Their menu at the time was printed on a nice thicker piece of paper but it was freshly done and didn't even have the desserts on it. For a better look of their menu look online on their website. We got a basket of fresh bread and whipped butter. DELICIOUS and that kind of helped since their portions are not the biggest.

Dustin went for the good old steak or red meat they offered : Grilled Striploin Bistecca
It is served with veg and potatoes. The picture below is a picture of that. 

The steak was already pre-cut and we ordered it rare. The vegetables were in sautéed in some sort of olive oil baed sauce it was delicious. The portion side was quit small though considering the price we paid ( I can't remember the exact number but cost to amount ratio was more cost than amount ) I hate eating carbs (starchy ones like potatoes) but these potatoes were not super greasy or mushy. Just right. The side small salad was tasty too.

I went for something lighter: Penne with Prime Alberta beef ragout.


The sauce was lovely but once again the portion size as a lot smaller than most restaurants when you look at the price ... ( I will update the prices soon, planning on swinging by there soon) 
The above is their special homemade tiramisu. I got their cup version one and their cake version from the italian store before but this one was much better. (I believe it was 7 dollars) The decoration was cute with a little heart and mint leaves.

Here is a dim picture of the place taken without flash. IT is quite dark and romantic.... THe washroom is just in the wall it looks like a decorations since its a painted blue door but its the washroom.. There is only one.... 

This is off their website a picture of their place during the day and the tables they have set up and the open kitchen scheme they have.It is awesome because you smell your food as it cooks and hear their italian banter. 


They have other dessert options now and here is a pic I got off their website. Ever since their opening they have been expanding their menu a little bit ... and though I heard their service has gotten worse I still think their service was great.


You got to def try this play out as least once. Though it costs around $75  dollars a couple with a shared appi, each an entree and a shared dessert with no alcohol, the food quality and taste is def worth it. Be sure to note that you might not be full on that budget.


For another review from the edmonton journal : Click Here



Massimo's Cucina Italiana on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment