Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Better than the Zoo ~ Big Al's


Sometimes you look around and there really isn't anything to do. These "lack-of-action" moments usually occur on a Sunday afternoon when nothing isn't really open and you can't really start drinking without being labelled an alcoholic. Off course you could always be doing the following: sleeping, nursing a hangover,working, limited shopping, working out or eating. 

Since I have already done all of the following above I was left with a "lack -of-action" moment last sunday. Now I am one of the biggest fans of ZOOS, though I know certain zoos are quite controversial with their small cages and inappropriate animal care. What really blows is the Edmonton Zoo and its lack of animals. I recall volunteering for the City of Edmonton in my High School years and not seeing many animals in their enclosures except for rabbits, ground squirrels etc. 

Since I have done some traveling in my time, I have also seen zoo's from various cities and lets just say Edmonton Zoo is definitely lacking. (~maybe we should revamp our zoo instead of spending money for a new arena... just saying) I only go to the Edmonton Zoo on their free day (sometime in Sept.) 

So what is better than going to the zoo? 

Going to Big Al's on 99th. 

Why? 

Well its free admission and on certain days they have shark feedings (yes their sharks are not as vicious, I believe they are nursing sharks) Though it is not a glorified aquarium set up like the one in Vancouver, they do have a variety of fish. They got the marines, the tropicals some puffers etc. 

On a Sunday it gets quite cramped in there with children and couple alike. 



Here is their gold fish setup with their neon LDS that brings out the rock colours and the gold fish. I personally really love gold fish and how they waddle around in the water looking for food and air bubbles. CONTRARY to other pet store believes, you cannot raise a gold fish in a gold fish bowl. They actually require 20 gallon + setups. (I blame this on KRAFT DINNER and their commercials of KD)

They have quite a good marine setup though recently they have been lacking in variety. I play can you find dora since finding NEMO is too easy ... please refer to pictures below.

live anemone, I like all the colours.
They also have poison frogs
fat frogs / toads? i can't tell the difference
manta rays and manta ray couple that keep making baby manta's which are super cute.
Here is more of the marine tanks.
FINDING NEMO .....
some porcupine puffers in the marine section. Their eyes are so mystifying.
Some of the more dangerous marine fish that are deadly poisonous. Lion fish and baby lion fish.
Here is one in action.
There are different types of puffers on display be it marine or fresh/salt walter puffers such as the pea puffer, figure eight and spotted puffer.
Yeah to the flock of mollies. They are pretty much birthing machines and actually in this tank there were tons of little babies.
The snail infested tank. They got a whole tank specifically to snails. These are yummy treats for fish esp for puffers who need to grind their front teeth.
arowana? fully grown in a 300 gallon tank . 
and yes some koi. (the asian in me couldn't resist)

These are only a select few pictures of the whole setup they got much more.

Personally I think its not to bad to visit this place when you are bored I mean there really isn't much to do in Edmonton, why not spend it FREE admiring the creatures in the GREAT BIG  BLUE.

No comments:

Post a Comment