Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Common is not so Common After All : Lunch Time



Ever heard of THE COMMON? When I first heard of it I thought it was a club or some place to go to in the whee hours of the night. One day I was wondering around downtown looking of a place to eat with my father. (love being a broke student when your father feeds you often) We decided to try out the common. I looked up their menu online for lunch and the prices were reasonable.

Here is there website: CLICK HERE

What I liked was how they turned comfort/ pub food into something more refined, and I daresay high class. The chef behind these creation is Chef Jesse Morrison-Gauthier and sometimes other guest chefs. I even found his blog website : CLICK HERE 

They also often host events such as the most recent: Dinner for $25. 

More information of the location and reservations :

780-452-7333 // 9910 109St Edmonton, Alberta
Please note that we no longer accept reservations on Friday and Saturday evenings after 5pm. To make a lunch or Monday-Thursday dinner reservation please call The Common at (780) 452-7333.
So we went in for a nice and early lunch. Off course my father went for the fish and chips. (his all time favourite at any restaurant ~ refer to my Lazia blogpost)




The fish and chips were freshly made and fried from the looks of it. The lemon itself looked like it was on the bbq ~ grilled to perfection. The salad had a nice light dressing which didn't take away the taste of the tempura battered fish and the dip (tartar) This dish cost $15.50. There was an option of salad, fries or soup. My dad tried to balance the unhealthiness with some salad instead of the original fish and chips combo.



This is what I got, a Prawn Melt. I love the corn bread it is on.. at least that is what I believe it was. It crumbled in my mouth it was delicious I actually crave that exact same feeling all the time. The presentation was good as well, I hate it when food doesn't have at least some presentation, it really makes me not want to eat it. I thought that for sure the  kimchi soup would not taste good. I mean this is not a Korean establishment after all. I was very wrong, one taste was all it took for me to fall in love with the flavourful infused broth. I wish the portion was bigger though, but I guess it the smaller portion makes you want to come back for more. There is actually seafood underneath ~ pacific rock shrimp which didn't have the usual nasty seafood stench. The guacamole and goat cheese mingled perfectly in my mouth along with the sriracha aioli (thai style- hot chilli sauce) The price for my dish was $13.50


Though the portions sizes were smaller than most restaurants, the quality of the food was excellent. All in all our bill wasn't too hefty and the meal was enjoyable as well as the decor and hipster atmosphere.

Here is a photo off of the Edmonton Journal, I sat in the booth as seen in this picture. (cushy seats are the best)

OVERALL, I would definitely recommend this place but not they do fill up fast esp during lunch time when I went.

The Common on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment