Saturday, March 9, 2013

Kraving the Korea: B Bim Baab Restaurant and Lounge

Location: 9543 42 Avenue Northwest Edmonton, AB T6E 5R2
Email: http://www.bbimbaab.com/
Hours:
Monday – Friday: 11:30am – 10pm
Saurday: Noon – 10pm
Sunday: 4pm – 9pm
Mikee and I met today after we both worked a crazy long day. Though our jobs are technically very different it is in one sense the same... (playing nice and making others feel good about themselves)

We decided we deserved to eat our faces off. I told her, it has to be a place where I haven't ate yet since I want to blog tonight. So after using the URBAN SPOON app on my Samsung Galaxy S3 I saw a korean restaurant pop up. B-Bim-Baab Restaurant and Lounge.

After using her GPS (English Setting - Samantha) we were finally able to find our way through the industrial park to our final location. At first we thought it wasn't open because there were no cars there. (It was 5pm ) We saw the flashing red sign and ran right in. At this point we were both starved. (she had chips all day and I had lean cuisines)

We were created by a older Korean lady with a heavy accent and we were seated right away. At this point we were the only one there.
 These is the sign within the building, I think they are opening a sushi bar right next to it soon! Yes ! I will try it out when they open, maybe I will be able to find a new sushi place to eat at.

The following are pictures of their menu :

The are a bit blurry since I was taking them in a hurry so that I could actually order. The waitress came by4 times asking if we were ready. Since there were more than 60 items I was VERY OVERWHELMED.
For a better look just look on their website ( the link is above)

Here is a little view on how our booth looked, simple but a bit dark. It look ok in this light but I bet if we had WHITE light we could see dirtiness or "oldness".

We got green tea which they gave to us in a french press. The tea the used was Japanese Genmaicha which had toasted brown rice in it. The amount they gave us was only good the first time round, when they added water they didn't add more leaves so the taste was really dulled down and it just tasted like warm water with a tinge of green tea after taste. 


We got two side dishes first and we snacked on it while we waited for our many dishes. The kimichi as older which tastes GREAT. I personally like the "stank" of older kimchi. The sprouts were seasoned well too. Not too salty but had good pepper and flavour. 


 We got Basic B-Bim-Baap which means it was not in a stone bowl. The rice was therefore not as crunchy on the bottom. For this selection it does not come with meat so we had to add beef to it. ($11.99 + 2.99)

Now we put on the signature hot sauce and mix it up.! Delicious

Here is another photo with the hot sauce bottle.

Next was our kimche ji gae.
Here was when it was SUPER steaming when we first got it. The broth was really good. The pork in it was not too sparse and I like the bean sprouts in it and the large tofu pieces.

Yum korean rice is one of my favourite types of rice other than jasmine long grain and sushi rice (only when I eat it in sushi)
We had a taste of Korean BBQ with their spare ribs. These 3 ribs came to 17.99 ! wow super expensive. Good thing they tasted awesome, had awesome seasoning and just had the right amount of fat on them. Though I guess it wasn't very lady like to get all the meat off the bones.

Our final dish was Cha Jiang Myun. (surprisingly noodles in Korean sound really similar to noodles in Chiense = MIEN) I had this dish at Won Jung Gak before and really loved it. I tried it here and the sauce was just not the same(maybe less msg?) but there was definitely more vegetables in it.
Yikes our bill! for two teeny tiny asians we ate a lot!!!

Here is the little scenic thing they got  going on that we saw on the way out. I wish they could have koi. I don't' know why but whenever I see koi I feel like the place is way more authentic.

The first time I came here was about a year ago or two... when they had a groupon. It was delicious then and it is still delicious now. I always use to order bulgolgi and I remember theirs being delicious too. I guess when you have Korean, it does cost more than other Chinese restaurants. I would definitely come back again but I probably wouldn't order the short ribs again or the noodles and try something else instead.


B Bim Baab Restaurant & Lounge on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment