Friday, March 1, 2013

Fashion Friday: 3D Nails a Costly Obsession

I bite my nails during stressful event, scary events and when I am bored. In the winter my cuticles die and I bleed everywhere. All of these things do not sound attractive and my fingers and nails look horrendous. So what do I do? I opt for fake nails either gel, acrylic or a combo of the two. I have gotten my nails done in many places be it someone's basement, a nail salon or even went to Jasper or Asia.

Why do girls like fake nails. Typically, someone in a office job will have nice manicured nails and more often than not they are actually not their own. Our nails do not always glimmer and shine and look healthy so we have to use cosmetic procedures to enhance our fingers.

This set of nails was done by Ai Sasaki @ jasper. She has not relocated to Calgary @ Sakura Nails. I had no nails of my own at this point (nubs) and she was able to to acrylic extensions for me. She was very profession,  cute and efficient. She is Japanese after all and takes nail art very seriously. She timed each hand and made sure the best ingredients were used. She also had many magazines (current ones from Japan) with designs to choose from. getting awesome nails from her cost me $120 without gratuities. Unfortunately these nails snapped a week in from my work when it got stuck in a cabinet. 
These were done by Vivian Yen, my friend's sister in law in her basement. She was still practicing and din't charge me for much. These had acrylic tips and I asked for an Anna Sui design. This took a while to do since she was new to it and there was some bubbling. These nails lasted me 2 weeks. 

These two pictures are the right and left hand of my gel nail hello kitty set. Obviously I am obsessed with Hello Kitty so I had to get these nails. During this nail session in the basement the lights went out so bubbling occurred in one finger nail. But as you can see she was still able to do some cute 3d designs. These nails lasted me closer to 3 weeks before the bubbling got too annoying and I ripped off the design. These two set of nails took over 4 hours to do since she did it at home and did it  for fun.

Now all of the designs above were done by hand and they used no machines. When they filed they used nail filers so I was not in any pain nor did I bleed.


I got these nails done at Studio nails in Southgate and they hurt me a bit when they drilled too far into my nail bed to smooth my nails down. I made this design and it took about 1.5 hours to finish. The cost was $65 plus gratuities.

I got bored so I went home and added my own gems. I had bought swarvoski gems and used nail glue to make my nails more interesting. @ the salon it would have cost me an additional $10 to do this (min)
I go these nails done in another basement but this time a friend of my ex manager: Jenny. She was a mexican lady who was married to a brown guy and lived in mill woods. It was very cheap I think this cost me $30 and I totally would go back but I lost her number. =/ maybe I will have to re-ask jenny to get it done. Overall the quality was pretty decent and its as done in 2 hours. I made this design since I kinda like glitter and pink and stars. This set lasted me a good month before one chipped and I ripped them all off.
This was an older photo (look at date) where I got gel nails done in taiwan and they put swarvoski crystals on each on of my fingers. I did not pay for this (my aunt did) but I think she said is was around $30 cad including tip. It worked really well for my photo shoot and matched my purple promise ring. =) 

I finally went for a french manicure ( more professional look) but alas within 4 days I had chipped it using weights at the gym and the nails were done too long ( I had asked for them to be shorter but their had a english barrier) I think this was at Vo's wait or Studio nails. I went with my friend Carrie (she is on the right) and she actually got cut there and her cuticle started bleeding.
These are some stick on / glue on nails you can get at the drug store they look meh and lasts about 5 days but it only cost me 12.99 


I got this babies done at some nail salon on jasper. I think it cost me $45 dollars but they were the ones that latest me the longest and with minimal pain. They latest close to 2 months and my nails did not suffer.

 Now a days you can order pre-made acrylic nails that you can glue on urself. THough they do not last as long they are still deliciously appealing. This set of nails can be bought at luuux.com I would love to wear something like this if I had a job that didn't involving moving my fingers.... what job would that be? or if i just sat pretty lol
 I love these nails  that can be bought from etsy
 I have always wanted sushi nails. and then go eat sushi.
 some more cute dessert and food nails i found on the web.too bad not many people in edmonton can do things like this . in calgary there are more and more in van and toronto .
 these look like awesome and delicate nails perfect for a bride ?

and another hello kitty nail set. I WANT I WANT I WANT. i really do.

I like getting my nails done but sometimes salons hurt me really bad and it really kills my nails and nail bed. IT takes forever for my nails to fully grow out again and heal. After doing your nails a lot your finger nail itself get all brittle and can even be yellow. It is really hard to recuperate them. You often see people who get their nails done constantly have their nails done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment