Friday, March 29, 2013

Japonais Bistro on Jasper Ave



Website: Click Here 


I first found out about this place on FACEBOOK actually when they were doing a promo for their opening with a draw to win 100 gift card. A friend on facebook (don't remember which one) had shared the post and I went to the page. I then went on urbanspoon and saw that it was one of the top 10 most talk about restaurants. This place replaced a pre-existing bar and actually kept most of the DECOR and furniture.

The chopsticks were higher quality then most restaurants I have been to. Also their napkins are super thick.
We got iced green tea. I think they just poured hot tea into a cup of ice.

After much deliberation I went for the lunch special: Deluxe lunch omakaze $19.99. "I'm in your hands" treatment allows the chefs that day to prepare your meal of many small dishes. Jono went for the Traditional Bento Box $14.95. 


He had sashimi, sushi, california roll, mixed tempura and miso with salad. The waitress didn't actually give him is miso  till the end of the meal... SHE SAID SHE FORGOT. The tempura was ok I didn't really eat anything else of his plate. He said it was ok but not exceptional compared to VEGAS where he is currently attending law  school at. 



Here is a snap shot of my lunch. They had a tomato with flakes on it. Some sweet egg slices with this sauce on it. I got two oysters which I put tabasco sauce in. And these two battered shrimp that was deep fried. THE BULLDOG sauce was not to my liking. The chicken kraggae was just tasted like KFC. In all I was super hungry after this meal.



I went for a small dessert. A mochi ice cream $2.95 for the two. I had a green tea and red bean. tehy were good even Jono thought so. I also saw another co-worker eating there, she told me she spent 70 some dollars between her and her friend eating one roll and a platter. EXPENSIVE and she didn't think it was all that great either for  the price paid and the HYPE. we both enjoyed the mochi but SHE made a valid point, you can get the same thing at TNT for under $3 for 8 of them.

Would I come back. I guess so they have so many rolls (EXPENSIVE) and I haven't tried them yet but I don't think I would make an effort to go.... I would probably only go if others suggested or I was in the area and FAMOSO or EARLS wasn't open......

PS did I mention they charged JONO twice for his tea. SIGH and also their service was slow considering there was only two other tables with people there at the time.

Japonais Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment